Burning Behaviour Tests for Motor Vehicles Materials
Our services include burning behavior tests for type approval of materials used in the construction of certain categories of motor vehicles.
As our customer you can benefit from our services during the product development and we help you to plan the testing for type approval.
Type approval of materials according to Regulation No. 118
Eurofins Expert Services as a Technical Services (TL-0016) is responsible for conducting burning behaviour tests for type approval according to Reg. No. 118.
The fire safety requirements for materials used in the construction of certain categories of motor vehicles are presented in Regulation No. 118 rev.1. The regulation includes materials and components used in the interior or engine compartment or in any separate heating compartment. We help on planning the burning behaviour tests for type approval.
Type approval is admitted by Finnish Transport Safety Agency, Trafi.
Tests for materials according to Regulation No.118
- Regulation No. 118 Annex 6 Test to determine horizontal burning rate
- Regulation No. 118 Annex 7 Test to determine melting behaviour
- Regulation No. 118 Annex 8 Test to determine the vertical burning rate
- Regulation No. 118 Annex 9 Test to determine the capacity of materials to repel fuel or lubricant
- ISO 6722-1:2011 paragraph 5.22 Test to determine resistance of flame propagation to electric cables
Burning rate tests to be used for type approval, horizontal or vertical, depends according to revision of Regulation 118 on installation of material in the interior, engine or separate heating compartment; if it is in horizontal or vertical position. If materials slope exceeds 15 per cent from the horizontal in installation, the burning rate shall be determined according to Annex 8. The new vehicle or component type must be according to Regulation No. E 118 rev 1 after 26 July 2016.
We determine the fire safety of the materials and components in vehicles also according to the following standards:
- ISO 3795 - Determining the fire safety of interior materials
- DIN 75200 - Determining the fire safety of interior materials
- FMVSS 302 - Flammability of interior materials
These fire tests are applied when securing the fire safety of different components in vehicles. The methods comply with the horizontal burning rate test in Regulation No. 118.